Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

On blogs & books

I read a lot of blogs.  Some of my very favorite ones are listed on the right hand side of this blog.  I’m constantly recommending Kevin DeYoung & Tim Challies; I’m smitten with Ann Voskamp and Kristen Welch; and I can frequently be seen reading many of the contributors to Desiring God, the Resurgence and the Gospel Coalition

I read fewer books, but I have been able to dig into several these past few months and some that I would highly recommend.  I purchased probably 5 books for my family to bring out with them in July, and now that Amazon offers their Whispernet, I can download books here in Kenya for the Kindle app on the iPad.  Needless to say, I’ve been doing a bit more reading lately.  I’d like to do a bit more blogging on what I’ve been reading lately. 

One book that I recently purchased and read in about 24 hours was Fierce Women: The Power of a Soft Warrior by Kim Wagner.

I could not put this one down.  Not your run-of-the-mill book on marriage, Kim outlines the characteristics of a beautifully fierce woman and those of a destructively fierce woman.  “Often marriages are caught in a destructive relationship dynamic that I call the Fierce Woman/Fearful Man cycle.  In this cycle, a wife’s strengths can intimidate her husband… But a strong woman doesn’t need to take on a wimpy persona or undergo a personality transplant in order to be the ideal wife.”  She goes on to affirm that strong women are part of God’s design and that their creativity, passion, and perseverance can either be an asset or a detriment to their marriages. 

“The truly beautiful fierce woman has an otherworldly strength derived from a source beyond herself. She’s plunged in fully to the forgiveness and love of Christ, and He holds her heart so completely that she’s reached true contentment.” p. 19

Kim tells the story of years of struggle in her own marriage and the means God used to redeem it.  She says “I spent years in marital misery before I recognized my own ugliness and how it affected our relationship.”  In chapter 5 and again in chapter 12, she details her story of being brought low and God graciously revealing the sin and destructive patterns in her marriage in order to begin to restore it.  She says “I finally got it.  My treatment of my husband is directly linked to bringing God glory. My world was rocked.”

I particularly liked chapter 11, as she unpacks the Biblical reasons for marriage and describes marriage as a parable for God’s hesed love for his people.  I also liked that each chapter includes “for the heart” questions for reflection.

Overall, I was completely convicted by this one.  I resonated with one too many traits in the destructive list and could use a lot of help in affirming and appreciating my husband.  I’m definitely recommending this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...