Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The days are long but the years are fast

In this season of our lives, the days do seem long.  In fact, sometimes they seem longer now than ever before.  We are certainly busier now than ever before with most days and evenings scheduled for the next eight weeks of term.

I know people say that it goes by like a blink, that before your eyes children turn 10, then 18, and then 25 and wedding bells chime.  But in the midst of piles of legos and messy diapers and snotty noses and “mommy, I need this” and “please stop touching that,” some days seem never-ending. 

DSCN6002

Sometimes it seems trite and mundane to be blogging about the very same motherhood struggles and issues I would be if I were back in the states, as if I should only be posting on life-changing ministry happening here in Kenya.  But so much of what I do on a daily basis is struggle through this thing called motherhood and on some days, it really is a struggle. 

Christina Fox, over at The Gospel Coalition writes:

I want to speak the gospel into my son's heart. I want to show him Jesus and his need for a Savior. I want him to know that because of Jesus, he can come before God, messes and all. But so often my efforts at pointing him to the gospel fail in the midst of the heated moments and frustrating circumstances. I stumble through, feeling awkward and forced. And in his heightened emotional state, I don't know that he hears anything I say.  But God is gracious and fills in those gaps left by my imperfect parenting….

I would encourage you, especially if you find yourself in the same season of parenting that I am in, to read this post.  It did my soul good after a string of similar days.

DSCN5776

DSCN5908

And you know how Ann speaks my heart over and over with her faithfulness and her giftedness at writing about the Truth.  I’ve read this post before and I read it again today and remember:

Motherhood is a hallowed place because children aren’t commonplace. Co-laboring over the sculpting of souls is a sacred vocation, a humbling privilege.  Never forget.

DSCN5875

DSCN5943

Grace and peace to you today.  And may all you do be for His glory. And pray that for me as well,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...